Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Damn You Archie

EDIT (22 May): DAVID COOK WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable. Sad for the cry baby, though, but if you were to put the whole competition into perspective Cook really deserves to win hands down. So happy ;)

---

I had a terribly LONG day, having to wake up at 6:45 this morning for a clinic visit all the way in Mantin (N. Sembilan). I was seriously dreading it because all the past clinic visits or whatever shit visits we've had were such a waste of time, so I assumed this would be the same.

Turns out it wasn't! I actually enjoyed myself very much. We followed a nurse into an orang asli settlement to follow up on a 24 year old who gave birth 4 days ago. The place was actually in a jungle! But it was pretty nice and serene - streams, durian trees, wooden bridges... the simple life.

The scary part was that the house we had to go to was somewhere on top of a hill, and the only access to it was by foot. And mind you the slope leading up to it was dangerous and muddy! Shelva and I had to hold on to each other coz we were so afraid we would fall! Well we finally made our way up to the quaint little house. Obviously not very nice and comfortable, and we were sweating like pigs there because it was so hot and stuffy. But that didn't bother us because upon seeing the baby we were very amazed! A 4-day old baby! WITH A LOT OF HAIR. Cute la. And this is ME talking. I, who have no feelings whatsoever towards kids, actually thought he was cute. Maybe I'm changing la I dunno la and I tell you a secret ok I actually like OBGYN a lot =/

OK ANYWAY. We observed a physical examination of the baby and the mother, palpated her uterus... (And it was very awkward when the nurse kept massaging her [as in the mother's] breasts. Not a very nice sight.)

The most interesting thing we got out of this home visit? Was when we found out the mother actually walked DOWN the slope at 2AM in the morning when she went into labour, gave birth at Seremban Hospital at 5AM, and went UP the slope back home the very next day. How she could do it is beyond me. I mean there we were, 5 reasonably fit students who struggled to climb up and down, when a 9-month pregnant woman could descend in the dark and ascend the very next day! Geez! So embarrassing.

After the home visit it was back to the Maternal & Child Health Clinic. Saw some interesting things like a prenatal ultrasound. Saw the fetal heart beating. It was awesome. Oh and I palpated a pregnant woman's uterus AND ACTUALLY FELT THE FETAL HEAD!!!!!!!!!!! Very cool OK.

All in all it was a fruitful visit. The new IMU nurse (forgot her name) was VERY nice. Taught us quite a lot, like what to expect for OSCE and stuff. Finally, one of the visits arranged by IMU was good. =P

Rushed to the student lounge after lectures back in IMU. I never liked the student lounge. It has a weird smell. But today I had to go because............... I HAD TO WATCH THE AMERICAN IDOL FINALS! Coz I no ASTRO in Bukit Jalil =(

Unfortunately it ended up being so disappointing because David Cook just lost it. All 3 songs were absolutely the wrong choices. I really really struggle to say this but Archuleta will win. People always ask what I have against Archuleta. I admit at first I did like him after watching his rendition of Imagine because it was simply mind-blowingly good (as we saw again in the finals), but as the competition progressed I realized all he could do was ballads. He has a great voice, no doubt, but I can't stand his FACE! Face problem! He looks perpetually worried, as if he's on the verge of crying every second. SO. DAMN. ANNOYING.

But today he stole the show. And I am mad. Because this was the worst David Cook had ever performed.

But it's OK. Even if Archuleta wins, he will probably be like Taylor Hicks. I mean even if he comes up with an album, who's actually going to listen? Would you want to listen to 12 boring ballads non stop? NO! BLEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. David Cook will make it big. You'll see. =P