Contrary to common belief, IPOH HAS ITS FAIR SHARE OF GOOD WESTERN FOOD! Geez. How did you think I turned out to be how I am today. Bodoh.
Here are some of the nicer restaurants in Ipoh. Indulgence is by far the best, of course.
1. Indulgence Restaurant and Living (website)

Indulgence is probably my most frequently visited dining place and my favourite eatery in the whole of Ipoh. My mum and I have been loyal patrons to the restaurant ever since it first opened more 12 years ago. At that time it occupied this quaint little shoplot in Canning Garden (which is my area of residence) but it is now housed at a beautiful heritage bungalow along Jalan Tambun.
What I like about Indulgence. Let's see. EVERYTHING! But what I love most about it is that it shows that Ipoh isn't as bad as it could've been.
Go look at the website and you'll see what I mean. Or better still, go there yourself. STAY there! At their bed and breakfast. Then tell me how it's like. It'll be stupid if I do because 1) my house is 10 minutes away and 2) I have no money. =(
2. Beacon Point (website)
Beacon Point is nothing like Indulgence. It has more of a family feel to the place. With comfort food for the soul, delicious Western and local delights, colourful drinks and heartwarming cakes, this place is for the youngest to the oldest of generations. Set lunches are quite worth it and it's quite a nice place to hold private functions.
3. Brewster's

Brewster's is a relatively new dining place in Ipoh. Located opposite the famous FMS Restaurant in old town, the most exciting thing about it is that it is NON-HALAL! Hahahaha finally a Western restaurant with pork. Yummmeee. Almost everything here has pork in it. Caesar salad with roast pork. Pork burger. Pork chops. Pork knuckles.
Their best dish I reckon? The barbecued pork-ribs - to die for! Especially with their signature ice-cream coffee to go with it.
Set lunch here is good too, slightly more expensive than Beacon Point but worth it.
4. Citrus
Citrus is all the way inside Ipoh Garden East. It's a funky dining place that serves high-end Western cuisine. It used to be good but I haven't been there in ages and there have been comments that the quality has deteriorated. I've yet to go there again. The place is nice, though. It has a unique ambience and the background music is tasteful. Not too shabby. =)
5. Paprika
Another fine-dining place in Ipoh Garden East. Have only been there twice. Not bad, but nothing to shout about.
6. Sincero Riverbank
The latest "in-thing" in town. Wine and dine. Beautiful atmosphere. Has separate areas for clubbing and dining, and a riverside garden which is breathtaking at night.
7. Ristorante Italia Mia
A comfy little Italian restaurant in Sunway Ipoh. I actually like it very much. On the pricey side, but has quality main courses and desserts. Only downside is that the menu is limited, but do check out the day's specials.
8. Sidewalk Ice-Cream Parlour

I like this place because it is a reminiscence of my childhood. The menu offers a variety of ice-cream flavours, snacks, milkshakes, pancakes, brownies and sandwiches. You can customize your own ice-cream by the number of scoops, flavours and how you want it presented. Don't expect Baskin-Robbins or Haagen Dazs but I think the ice-cream they serve is either homemade or of a fairly good brand because it sure doesn't taste like cheap ice-cream =P. The parlour only opens from 7PM to midnight and is usually packed on weekends.
Citrus is all the way inside Ipoh Garden East. It's a funky dining place that serves high-end Western cuisine. It used to be good but I haven't been there in ages and there have been comments that the quality has deteriorated. I've yet to go there again. The place is nice, though. It has a unique ambience and the background music is tasteful. Not too shabby. =)
5. Paprika
Another fine-dining place in Ipoh Garden East. Have only been there twice. Not bad, but nothing to shout about.
6. Sincero Riverbank
The latest "in-thing" in town. Wine and dine. Beautiful atmosphere. Has separate areas for clubbing and dining, and a riverside garden which is breathtaking at night.
7. Ristorante Italia Mia
A comfy little Italian restaurant in Sunway Ipoh. I actually like it very much. On the pricey side, but has quality main courses and desserts. Only downside is that the menu is limited, but do check out the day's specials.
8. Sidewalk Ice-Cream Parlour

I like this place because it is a reminiscence of my childhood. The menu offers a variety of ice-cream flavours, snacks, milkshakes, pancakes, brownies and sandwiches. You can customize your own ice-cream by the number of scoops, flavours and how you want it presented. Don't expect Baskin-Robbins or Haagen Dazs but I think the ice-cream they serve is either homemade or of a fairly good brand because it sure doesn't taste like cheap ice-cream =P. The parlour only opens from 7PM to midnight and is usually packed on weekends.
Great place for families. Great hangout among friends. Great place for a late night date. *wink*