Summative has ended and selectives are here. Too much free time in my hands. I'm doing Community Medicine which was my first choice - don't ask why. I enjoyed it on the first day. Dr Ranjit is the best lah. Really. He is. Initially I didn't regret opting for Comm Med because our topic is Patient Safety, so we would learn about how to avoid making errors as doctors and putting our careers in jeopardy - basically things we can apply in the working environment in the near future. It was good. On the first day. It is now the 4th day and I just finished 2 hours of draggy classes, both on Behavioural Sciences! WTF. I hate Selectives now. Ffff. OK la I hate the classes but love all the free time I'm wasting away! Haven't had this much time to spare in a looooooooooooong time!
Anyway. I want to tell you guys about this movie, The Other Boleyn Girl. I didn't get a chance to watch it in the cinema when it first premiered, but thank goodness I remembered it and bought the DVD instead.
I really enjoyed it.
Melodramatic, intriguing, (almost) in line with English history... this movie is about the Boleyn sisters (Anne, played by Natalie Portman and Mary, played by Scarlett Johansson) who fight for the affection of King Henry VIII (Eric Bana) when he is disgruntled with his wife, Queen Catherine's inability of bearing a male heir. The King at first sets his sights on Anne but later lusts after Mary, who, initially unwilling to become the King's mistress, comes to fall for him.
The whole movie depicts jealousy, betrayal, cunning, ambition - basically 16th Century bitchiness (LOL) in the setting of the King's court. What I liked about it is that it was more of a drama than a historical piece, because if it was merely based on history it would have been very dry. Then I read up a bit on English history and found that most parts of the movie did in fact take place, so it didn't run that far away from the truth.
One of the interesting things I got from this movie is that it had something to do with my post below on the rhyme Mary Mary Quite Contrary! Mary Tudor (NOT Mary Boleyn, don't get confused. Somehow these English people in the olden days had limited names. It's quite sad.)'s father is King Henry VIII. She is the only child born by Queen Catherine, so she inherited the throne from her father. You will see little Mary for a teeny-weeny bit in the movie somewhere in the beginning. Anne Boleyn (who became Queen) gave birth to Elizabeth, who later became the famous Queen Elizabeth I, and was successor to Bloody Mary's throne. Interesting isn't it. I love English history.
SO... go watch go watch! Stars Jim Sturgess as well, for those who fell in love with him after Across The Universe *rolls eyes*. But I forewarn you that he only plays a minor role and you MAY cry in the end. =P